Saturday, May 10, 2008

Where Debot Goes

For our service learning project we did Where Debot Goes. The main purpose of our project was to help people learn more about the digestive system with what it is all made of and some common diseases in the digestive system. I believe it was a good project to do and did help me with learning more about different diseases. With going to into Athletic Training, I need to know what helps make the digestive system run properly and doing this project helped me with knowing what foods help keep a healthy digestive system. Also, found out how much of the particular food you need to eat too.

The first day we presented our project in the HEC was on Wednesday April 29th from 11:45- 12:45. The first day was kind of slow with getting people come and stop to look at the poster and talk with us. Many students just walked by and laughed when they looked at the name of the poster. We did get a few students to stop and ask a few questions but not many. Then on Thursday, Tyler and Adam were presenting the poster in the HEC and according to them, they had many more students and faculty stopped by and ask questions. Friday when Tyler and I presented the poster had to wait longer until the rain stopped so the poster didn’t get ruined by the rain. That day we didn’t have anyone really stop and ask questions. There were very few students who walked through the HEC at that time. Tyler and I both agreed that the time we went was not a good time and if we could have, to have been in the HEC earlier in the afternoon than when we went. With being in the HEC during the busy time when students are going to class or lunch helped with students walking through the HEC but I believe some of the students either had something to or just didn’t want to stop.

I believe it was a great project for helping students to understand how the digestive system works but it doesn’t help when students don’t stop by to learn something. I really don’t know exactly what we could have done different but if there was something we could have done differently, we would have. For me, I was hoping to get more students to stay by but that didn’t happen so that was kind of frustrating but yet I also had a feeling that not many students were actually going to stop by and questions too. It was still a good experience for me since I got to learn more about how too keep my digestive system healthy and working properly. I would do the project again but different so more students would be more likely to stop by and ask questions.

1 comment:

Tom Hoeft said...

Sounds like a pretty good project. Maybe you could have had debot food there as a display to get people interested. But sounds pretty good.