Saturday, May 10, 2008

CPS Daycare




I have done volunteer work in the past but I had never really thought about my influence on the society that I had volunteered in. Being introduced to this service project was new to me and was something that I will take with me forever. I loved the over all thought of the service project, working with kids makes me happy as it is, and if I am able to show and help them in different ways it makes me feel good. As an assistant teacher I was a bit of an influence on the children, and it was nice to know that some of those kids looked up to me. It was easy to see that when I walked in the room with a huge smile on my face more children looked my way and wanted to play with me. I noticed this because there were some adults that did not always smile as much as me and I could tell that the children noticed this as well. Of course the children would rather be with the smiling teacher. I feel that showing the kids that I can be happy every time they see me is good for them because than they feel like they can be happy and silly with me as well. This is definitely a positive thing and it makes me more positive on my out looks at life with children. This project has made me realize things in myself that I would not have realized had I not spent this time at a daycare. There were many days were the kids were very well behaved and good listeners, but then there were the days where they all felt like they needed attention and needed to get into some trouble. It was days like the troubled ones, that kept me on my feet and concentrating on my patience. As they say, patience is a virtue, this is something that does not come when you are born, and is something that is hard to do at times. Working with children has helped me to pay more attention to my patience, not just with the children, but even my friends at times. I really enjoyed this opportunity for all of us to get involved with the community; I feel that it was good for the community as well as ourselves. Coming into college and being on our own it is projects like this that help us develop great habits on our own like helping out the community. The pictures that I added are of the children petting a dog that came in for their last week of classes. They loved the golden retriever named Steve, it was so great to see the smile on their faces.

1 comment:

Sarah Fahrenkrug said...

That sounds like a lot of fun... I can definitely relate because I've had lots of experience teaching swimming lessons to young kids and I know how much of an impact a simple smile can have on their impression of you. I also know how it is when all they want to do is get into trouble, so I'm sure you had your work cut out for you! Overall, it seems like you had a good time and made a difference!