Saturday, May 10, 2008

Final post: Animation

Throughout this entire project I have learned quite a bit about not only organizational skills but also how difficult it is to prepare something educational. This project was more difficult than I had previously imagined it to be, the time and effort I put into researching the topic and analyzing it in order to help the group not only understand the material but also for creating the animations. I hope that the others in the group had a similar experience as I did and that those who view our animation will have a little better understanding of cellular respiration. The final product will be very usef as a learning resource for students who either have a professor/teacher show them this animation during their curiculum or are doing research of their own.

Along the way there were several things that suprised me, during research, editing information, and about group dynamics. During the research I thought I would have been able to find all the information that I would need quite easily and I believed that I had a good grasp on understanding the material; I was mistaken. I read text book accounts, online sources, and even a few animations and all of which were at a different level of thinkings. It suprised me how information varied throughout these different sources making it very difficult to know which one's had the most accurate information that could be used for this project. On average it took me about 10 hours a week to find sources that were useable, needless to say there were a lot of "hit and misses." Then after collecting all the sources it was shocking how difficult it was to "weed out" the information that was either irrelevant to the material or was too far in depth than what we wanted to present. For each step with in Cellular Respiration it took me at least 2, if not more, hours to go through and edit the information to suit our purposes. Group dynamics was probably the thing that surprised me most. I thought we would work quite well together, we did for the most part, but after a while it seemed that individuals in the group were doing all of one aspect of the production but not even able to aid in another aspect either because they didn't want to or because they weren't allowed to.

I have always had a keen interest in service of the community since I was young. I volunteered at my scout group and school to do small things like highway clean up or canned food drive, things of that nature, and it has instilled in me a sense of pride in being able to help others. So I definantly see myself serviceing my future communities later in life with out a doubt.

3 comments:

Tyler Nigon said...

This is a very good idea for a service learning project because when the semester is over, you are continuing to provide your information to the public because of the fact that it is up on youtube. When I saw the short version of what you had done on Thursday, I was very impressed and I could tell you guys spent a lot of time on it. From what I saw, you guys did a very good job on your project and I know it will be a valuable teaching resource for many people in the years to come.

Ian Armstrong said...

I did like your groups project alot. I liked the idea of the use of a video which makes it more fun to me with learning about it. That was a great idea for you project because you do continue providing information to the class and the public. Hopefully you will get a lot of people to view your project.

Andrew Keats said...

I thought your group did a good job on the project. I liked the video clip that we viewed last Thursday in class. I could tell that you all worked hard on it. I thought it was a good idea to do something like that for this assignment, good job.