Saturday, May 10, 2008

final toilet teacher post

When we first started the service learning project I didn’t expect to learn much of anything. I thought it was just going to be some busy work to try and get us involved in the community but I was quite wrong. I actually learned some valuable information from my service experience and I think a lot of other people did as well. Our project involved teaching our fellow dorm users about some of the common sicknesses and diseases in the dorms and ways to prevent them. I think it was very beneficial for the students who read our flyers and attended our informational meeting. We made informational pamphlets to hang in the bathroom. I think these made a big impact we knew the pamphlets already in the bathroom by heart so we knew people would read our pamphlet if it was put up in every bathroom. They now have information that can help them stay healthier when they stay in the dorms in the future and throughout their life. Our informational meeting went very well. It was a little repetitive from the pamphlets but there was a lot of new information added as well. We had a good turnout and everyone that showed up left with some good information on how to stay healthy in the future.


Looking back, the only thing we talked about that we would want to change would be a wider variety of sicknesses. We started our project during the end of winter so we concentrated on sicknesses common in the winter but now people will be prepared for next winter.


The aspect of the service project I found most beneficial for myself and other members of my group was that we actually had to do some teaching. We had to prepare information in a way that students of our age would pay attention and be interested. It was quite a challenge and now we know what college professors have to go through every day to try and keep students interested.

No comments: