Friday, May 9, 2008

Humane society final blog

When I first started volunteering at the Humane Society, I was really actually kind of scared. I didn't know how the animals would react and I thought they might not be friendly with strange people. But my first time volunteering, changed my outlook on how the animals were. I did cat socialization during my time at the HS. Normally, I'm not a big fan of cats, but all they wanted was some attention and some love. Every time I walked into a room with cats, I instantly heard meowing and found myself with cats crawling all over me. This made me happy to see how much the animals appreciated the human interaction that they don't seem to get very often. I found this to be very beneficial for me because I learned to like cats. I was also able to change my view about how animals there are. I felt like I was able to help the cats find loving homes because a lot of times when I was in with them, people would stop and look at how the cat interacted with me. And last week, I saw my first adoption. I was sad to see Ditto go but I knew he was glad to leave by how fast he crawled into that carrier. There was one thing that I found very shocking during my time at the HS. One particular day, I overheard a phone call that one of the front desk employees made. She had made a phone call inquiring if the lady had lost a dog. The lady on the other end first asked how much the fine and after learning the price said that it wasn't her dog and that it was her dad's so she wasn't going to pay the fine so they could keep the dog. The lady wouldn't come to get her dog because of the cost of the fine and that made me wonder how many other animals were there because of that same reason. All of the employees are very friendly and very helping. Jennifer, the Executive Director, often checked to see how it was going and if I needed anything. The ladies at the front desk often helped me with any questions I had or helped me get a new cat to socialize with. I'm just glad that I'm able to help make a cat's life a little happier just by being there for them to cuddle with. I plan to continue my volunteer services throughout the summer and possibly into next school year.

No comments: