Friday, May 9, 2008

Humane Society

In the past two months I have learned so much about the humane society. I learned how the humane society helps the animals, the public and is overall a very beneficial organization. During my time volunteering at the humane society, I learned how to care for the animals and work with other people. This was a growing experience for both the animals and myself because people don’t realize this but those animals see little to no human contact on a day to day basis. I could tell every time I went there how appreciative the animals were to just see me. It was interesting to see how the animals especially the dogs became so extremely excited when you opened the cage to get the leash on them. Every animal there had their own very unique personality and it was fun to get to know them. One that stands out in my head is the pitbull because pitbulls just look scary but it was probably the best behaved dog at the humane society. From this experience, I feel volunteering is a very good thing. I found myself actually wanting to go volunteer; it made me feel good about myself and relieved stress. I will most likely keep volunteering there next year. Something else I like about the humane society is that it saves stray animals that don’t have a home and give them to loving families. The humane society not only takes these animals off the streets but also hires good workers and volunteers to play and train these animals to be more friendly creatures so they will be more likely to be adopted. I hate seeing animals that have been abused or hurt so the humane society is a great place for these poor animals. During my time there, I noticed that there are some things that I would want to change to benefit the animals. First thing is that when you take one dog out all the other dogs bark, so I think maybe the cages shouldn’t be right next to each other. Another thing is that the cages are farley small so it is kind of sad to see the animals in those conditions. There are some problems with space especially outside because there is a small walking sidewalk that just loops around the building and there really isn’t any outdoor space for the dogs to just run around. The last thing I would change is that I think they should advertise more because I couldn’t even find it in the beginning and nobody knew where it was even Stevens Point residents. I think the people who work at the society are doing a great job and I really enjoyed working with them and the animals.

1 comment:

Brynna said...

I have always been a lover of animals and we got our cats from the humane society, it is good to know that some people volunteer. I always wanted to volunteer but I was too young, but I really think I will look into volunteering at the humane society by me this summer. This was a great idea because animals need attention just as bad as humans do and it is important that they are tended to if they are going to be around. It seems that you got a lot out of this project, way to help out the community.